Thursday 1 January 2009

Top 5 Gigs 2008

In reverse order:

Brandi Carlile - The Arts Theatre - 28 Jul

Missed her gigs in April as Later ... pulled it's usual trick of showing acts at the end of their tours rather than the beginning. She signed my little red writing book after the show: I haven't washed it since.


SonVer - The Half Moon, Herne Hill - 25 Jul

At the fourth time of asking I got what they are about. Words and voices are no longer a necessity (still desirable though).


Retrofin - Astoria II - 16 May

Big stage, big lights, big sound: the best I've seen them. 2009 needs more gigs like this, though preferably with a better promoter.


Hayes Carll - Luminaire - 25 Sep

Only found out about the gig the previous day and had another 5 possible to go to. The boss of the Lumi said he'd put me on the house list, Yasmin said I'd regret it if I didn't go. For nearly two months this was the gig of the year.


Chatham County Line - Luminaire - 18 Nov

Another introduction by way of Later ...The previous night was my first review for egigs but this was the better show being at a better venue with a longer set. "Just One Minute" was "soppy country music" at it's finest.

2 comments:

Magic said...

What?! No Little Fish?!

;)

Yasminselena said...

Lordy you actually quoted me! It was soppy country music, but kind of cool. I've no idea what my Top 5 of the year was actually.Hmm. x